Meet the Expert
Cramer graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College, where he was president of The Harvard Crimson. He worked as a journalist at the Tallahassee Democrat and the Los Angeles Herald Examiner, covering everything from sports to homicide before moving to New York to help start American Lawyer magazine. After a three-year stint, Cramer entered Harvard Law School and received his J.D. in 1984. Instead of practicing law, however, he joined Goldman Sachs, where he worked in sales and trading. In 1987, he left Goldman to start his own hedge fund. While he worked at his fund, Cramer helped start Smart Money for Dow Jones and then, in 1996, he founded TheStreet. In 2000, Cramer retired from active money management to embrace media full time, including radio and television.
Fundamentals of investing
Never turn a trade into an investment.
Your first loss is your best loss.
The FAANG stocks are…
If you’ve heard any of these investment mottos before, they all come from the same place, legendary hedge fund manager, investor and stock market educator extraordinaire Jim Cramer.
Fundamentals of Investing picks up where Personal Finance Essentials leaves off and is a the perfect primer for anyone looking to understand how markets function, how to interpret the news to find investment opportunities or how to learn how to value a company (and it’s stock) the way that we do every day at TheStreet. It’s also ideally suited for anyone working with, or planning to work with, a financial advisor.
This course is led by the Dean of TheStreet University, Jim Cramer.
Topics are introduced with short, engaging videos. Text readings, expert videos, and reviews of real situations with real people bring Personal Finance to life.
Use the screening questions to get a personalized playlist or work through each module and take the quizzes at the end. It’s personal finance – your way.
Easy to Use
All material is loaded and ready-to-go, including videos, readings, quizzes and practice activities. No plugins or downloads and available on any device.
Understanding the fundamentals of investing will help you better manage your portfolio, evaluate individual stocks, and stay ahead of the sharks in the market.
Module 1 — The Stock Market
- Understand the basics of the stock market
- Learn how to select the best broker for you
- Ways you can use stock order types to maximize your positions
- Learn what drives stock price fluctuations and how you can use it to your advantage
Module 2 — Macroeconomics
- How trade and international markets impact your stock portfolio
- Ways inflation, unemployment, GDP, and interest rates impact your stocks
- Understand the Fed and how to trade their moves
- Ways to market money in up markets and down markets
- The data you need to track to make smart, analytical trades
Module 3 — Research
- Spotting high-performing companies and tools to identify poor-performing companies
- The keys to look for in financial statements
- How to develop your own expectations and price targets for a stock
- How to trade the news
Module 4 —Portfolio Management
- How to manage your broader portfolio and diversify away risk
- Risk management techniques used by the pros
- How to rebalance your portfolio
Module 5 - Putting It All Together
- How to develop your own market outlook
- Managing your stock positions
- Jim’s tips for managing the ups and the downs or trading